I am super, super excited because I am finally getting closer to my dream project: creating a large cache of MP3 hymn recordings specifically for elders with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
I’ve been dreaming about this project for some time. As I’ve been developing Spiritual ElderCare, I’ve realized that free, downloadable, singalong hymns and spirituals for elders with dementia don’t exist anywhere. Although I love ElderSong, those hymns are limited and only available as CDs for purchase. Other downloadable hymns, such as those on HymnPod, are not well-suited for those with dementia. Regular hymn arrangements tend to be too fast, too long, and in a too-high key for elders with dementia, who need simple, slower arrangements with fewer verses (average song length: about 2 minutes).
I’m now doing preliminary research for creating new recordings, in a studio, with real musicians (one female and one male singer, with a piano accompaniment). Ultimately, I’ll post the downloadable singalong hymns and spirituals for FREE on this website.
My goal is that any activity director, family member, chaplain or whoever can use them to create their own playlist. Combined with SEC ready-to-use church services, these song files will provide a turn-key solution for anyone who wants to lead a nondenominational church service in their own eldercare setting.
Here’s where you come in! I’ve just finished creating a spreadsheet of 63 hymns by denomination. But I want to hear from you! Please comment below or send me a private message.
- Which hymns would YOU would most like to have recorded for this project? Does your elder(s) have particular favorites?
- I’m trying to figure out a reasonable budget, and for that I need to come up with a time estimate for a) rehearsing and b) recording. Do you have any experience with this? If so, I’d love your input.
- Once I have a realistic budget, I plan to create some kind of crowdfunding page (e.g., Kickstarter or YouCaring) to raise the funds. How should I approach this? What would appeal to you? Do you have experience with crowdfunding, and if so, what advice would you give me?
- Do you have resources you think I should contact?
- What questions do you have about this project? I really want to know!
Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I’m so excited to see this take shape. Please contact me at any time.
Peace be with you,
Photo by Hollie Ramsey / moderncolors