I’m excited to post this gift for you: a brand-new Advent Devotions and Activities booklet.
The weekly devotions and corresponding activities are short and sweet, and are especially designed to meet the spiritual needs of older adults with dementia. The goal is to help elders in your care to engage with the Advent season – the four weeks before Christmas – and its traditional themes of hope, peace, joy, and love.
If possible, have a simple advent wreath and candles (electric if appropriate) to light during each of the devotions and activities.
Each week’s devotion includes:
- Opening Christmas carol to sing together. (Check out the Spiritual Eldercare sing-along Christmas carols on YouTube.)
- Opening prayer (read aloud together, or leader can read for the group).
- Simple, short reflection and discussion guide for that week’s theme.
- Closing prayer.
- Closing Christmas carol to sing together.
- Related activity suitable for a group or individuals.
As with all of my resources, this booklet is free — but if you’d like to make a donation to this ministry, please click on the wreath button in the right column.
Bless you during this wonderful season.
P.S. Many thanks to Jon Ball for content help; my daughter-in-law, Jennifer, for creative input; my husband, Dave, for expert formatting; and John Birch at FaithandWorship.com for his beautiful, original prayers and other Christian liturgical resources.