READ THESE FIRST:
Church celebrations for elders with Alzheimer’s and other dementias, from the first Sunday of Advent through Christmas Eve and Epiphany.
Church services related to federal and common holidays, such as Mother’s and Father’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day.
Videos of 80+ dementia-friendly hymns with lyrics, plus numerous, full-length nondenominational church services.
Ready-to-print, large-font songbooks for the classic hymns and spirituals, with or without page numbers.
Services from Ash Wednesday through Easter and Pentecost, designed especially for elders with dementia.
Use this music, transposed to a lower key than usual, to play along with the classic hymns recordings.
Numerous nondenominational services on biblical themes such as loyalty, friendship, wisdom, faith, and family.
Browse Services Alphabetically
*Updated or new (Nov. 2020)
Advent: Epiphany* (Gifts)
Ash Wednesday Preparation (if not celebrating on Wednesday)
Compassion (Mother Teresa’s birthday, Aug. 27)
Discovery* (Columbus Day / Indigenous People’s Day)
Honor* (Veterans’ Day)
July 4 (Independence Day)
Justice* (Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday)
Memorial Day (Sacrifice)
Service* (Christ the King Sunday)
Transformation (Transfiguration Sunday)
Treasure (Chinese New Year 2020)
Work (Labor Day)
Nondenominational Worship Service: Items You May Want to Use
Links below are simply to give you an idea of what I’m talking about; I am not endorsing any particular brand or product.
- Raised bedside table to serve as an “altar.”
- Colored cloth (to cover the table) that corresponds to a liturgical calendar; typically, that means green for Ordinary Time, white or purple for Christmas, purple or red for Lent, and so on.
- Freestanding, unbreakable cross (i.e., metal or wood).
- Traditional-looking Bible.
- Electric candles (I use votive size so they don’t overwhelm the table).
- Bluetooth speaker to amplify the hymn recordings (I have the recordings on my iPhone).
- Copies of lyrics to create a songbook for whatever hymns you choose.
- Small singing bowl for end of service (closing blessing).